This weekly journal began publication on Mar. 26, 1831. It carried the slogan, "The Church of the Living God, the Pillar and Ground of the Truth." In Nov. 1833, it absorbed the Episcopal Watchman. It suspended publication with the May 2, 1861 issue because of the Civil War, and then resumed publication in 1867. It absorbed several other church-related publications including the American Churchman (1871), the Church Journal (1878), the Guardian (1883), the Church Magazine (1887), the Church Press (1888), the Church Year (1891), and the Church Standard (1908). In Mar. 1933 it moved from a weekly to a semi-monthly publication. Its name was changed to The Churchman's Human Quest with the Dec.-Jan. 1986 issue. It became The Human Quest with the Jan.-Feb. 1990 issue, but returned to the title The Churchman's Human Quest with the Sept.-Oct. 1995 issue. It described itself as "An independent journal of religious humanism."
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.