Jackson Kemper was consecrated the Missionary Bishop of Indiana and Missouri on Sept. 25, 1835. On Aug. 24-27, 1838, the Diocese of Indiana was organized at Christ Church, Madison, Indiana. The General Convention of 1898 voted to divide the diocese. On Sept. 1, 1902, the name was changed to the Diocese of Indianapolis. The Diocese of Indianapolis consists of the following counties: Bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Crawford, Daviess, Dearborn, Decatur, Delaware, Dubois, Fayette, Floyd, Fountain, Franklin, Gibson, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Harrison, Hendricks, Henry, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Madison, Marion, Martin, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Ohio, Orange, Owen, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Randolph, Ripley, Rush, Scott, Shelby, Spencer, Sullivan, Switzerland, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Union, Vanderburgh, Vermillion, Vigo, Warren, Warrick, Washington, and Wayne. On Oct. 10, 1954, Christ Church, Indianapolis, became Christ Church Cathedral.