C.). From its beginning, Howard University in Washington, D.C., had a Theological Department to train African American ministers. On Jan. 15, 1889, the Board of the University resolved that the University would be glad to associate with denominations that might desire to establish divinity schools under their auspices and cooperate with them in giving the "colored population an educated minority in every branch of the Christian Church." King Hall, a building across the street from the campus, was purchased by the Episcopal Missionary Society in 1889. Professor William V. Tunnel of Howard University, an Episcopal priest, became the Warden (rector) of the new school. King Hall trained African American clergy for the Episcopal Church from 1889 until 1908.
King Hall, Howard University (Washington, D
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.