On Oct. 10, 1874, the General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of New Jersey and form a new diocese. This diocese included the counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex and Warren, and the township of Summit in Union County. The primary convention met at Grace Church, Newark, New Jersey, on Nov. 12, 1874, and chose the name the Diocese of Northern New Jersey. On May 19, 1886, the name was changed to the Diocese of Newark. Bishop Edwin Stevens Lines named Trinity Church, Newark, the Cathedral on Oct. 23, 1917. It was formally established as Trinity Cathedral, Newark, by the diocesan convention on May 9, 1944.