The General Convention of 1892 voted to divide the Diocese of Michigan. The primary convocation of the Missionary District of Northern Michigan met at Grace Church, Ishpeming, on May 31, 1893. The 1895 General Convention received the Missionary District as the Diocese of Northern Michigan. The primary convention of the diocese met at St. Paul's Church, Marquette. It chose the name Diocese of Marquette. This convention also accepted the offer of St. Paul's Church, Marquette, to be the pro-cathedral. On June 2, 1937, the name was changed to the Diocese of Northern Michigan. On Nov. 9, 1939, St. Paul's, Marquette, ceased to be the pro-cathedral. The diocese does not have a cathedral. The diocese includes the following counties: Alger, Baraga, Chippewa, Delta, Dickinson, Gogebic, Houghton, Iron, Keeweenaw, Luce, Mackinac, Marquette, Menominee, Ontonagon, and Schoolcraft.