The 1910 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Pittsburgh. The primary convention of the new diocese met at St. Paul's Church, Erie, on Nov. 16, 1910. It chose the name Diocese of Erie. It includes the following counties: Cameron, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Mercer, Venango, and Warren. On Nov. 14, 1981, the name was changed to the Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania. St. Paul's Church, Erie, was set apart as St. Paul's Cathedral on Feb. 21, 1915.
Northwestern Pennsylvania, Diocese of
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.