GC80 Evening Update: Saturday, July 9
GC80 Daily Updates from the Office of Public Affairs are morning and evening roundups of news, events, and resources related to the 80th General Convention, July 8-11 in Baltimore.
The second day of the 80th General Convention of The Episcopal Church included the election of Julia Ayala Harris, a deputy from the Episcopal Diocese of Oklahoma, as the next president of the House of Deputies.
The Rev. Gay Clark Jennings, president of the House of Deputies, spoke in a pre-recorded sermon to the House of Bishops and House of Deputies during Morning Prayer.
Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Michael Curry took part in a march that included many attendees of the 80th General Convention and was organized by Bishops United Against Gun Violence. This July 8 event followed a deadly shooting that took place the day prior in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. Those present marched down Pratt Street to a space near the shooting and offered prayers for all God’s children, noting, “They are all our neighbors.”
#GC80 Daily Show
The #GC80 Daily Show, produced by the Office of Communication, showcases the good work of Episcopal leaders and initiatives from around the church. Episodes are released each day on the Media Hub and included in these updates. Tonight’s episode features the Rev. Bernie Lindley, vicar of St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Brookings, Oregon, and a commercial fisherman.
Livestream schedule (watch on GC80 Media Hub)
Note: Legislative sessions take place in both houses concurrently, with separate livestreams for each (English and Spanish). Worship services are held in each house, with a prerecorded sermon streamed in both. Link to worship bulletins.
- Sunday, July 10
- 8:30-10 a.m.: Sunday Eucharist; sermon by the Rt. Rev. Eugene Taylor Sutton, bishop, Episcopal Diocese of Maryland
- 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Legislative Session
- 2:30-5:30 p.m.: Legislative Session (includes Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget and Finance budget presentation to a joint session of the House of Bishops and House of Deputies)
- 7:30-9:30 p.m.: Legislative Session (as needed)
- Time TBD: Election of next vice president of the House of Deputies (see candidates)
- Monday, July 11
- 8:30-9:30 a.m.: Morning Prayer, sermon by Julia Ayala Harris, president-elect of the House of Deputies
- 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Legislative Session
- 2:30-5 p.m.: Legislative Session
- Office of Public Affairs’ GC80 page
- General Convention Office Virtual Binder
- General Convention Office GC80 resource page
- House of Deputies website
- Episcopal News Service
- Be sure to visit—and share the link to—gceighty.org, a special site created by GC80’s host diocese, the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland. The site offers virtual (and in-person) walking tours of Baltimore, a virtual exhibit booth highlighting the diocese’s work in truth and reconciliation and reparations, and much more.