The ecumenical movement is The Episcopal Church’s response to Jesus’ prayer for his disciples in John 17:21 “that they may all be one.” The Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations offers prayers for unity and participates in formal dialogues to nurture a spirit of understanding and respect, while collaborating actively in mission and ministry opportunities. The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations works closely with Episcopal Diocesan Ecumenical and Interreligious Officers (EDEIO) to equip diocesan officers to carry out their work. Each province of The Episcopal Church is represented by a provincial coordinator elected from within the organization.
Full Communion Partners
Communion in the Church and communion between and among the churches is a dynamic reality, a reality in progress, a reality never perfectly achieved, a reality with which we struggle as we struggle in our personal communion with God and with one another.
Ecumenical Dialogue Partners
The Episcopal Church is engaged in formal bilateral talks with the following churches. These dialogues have been established by act of General Convention and are provided with oversight by the Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations in conjunction with clergy and laity appointed by the EIR and the Office of General Convention.
Ecumenical and Interreligious One-pagers
Documents that provide concise, up-to-date information about the state of Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations in The Episcopal Church and with our full communion partners.
- Ecumenical and Interreligious Applications OpenThe Rev. Michael Barlowe, secretary of the General Convention, invites Episcopalians from across the church to apply for appointment to the various interim bodies created by General Convention. These committees, commissions, and task forces carry out the work of The Episcopal […]
- J. Robert Wright’s Legacy: Ecumenism for a Dangerous Time￼A Sermon Preached at the Solemn Requiem Mass for the Reverend Canon J. Robert Wright May 19, 2022The Chapel of the Good ShepherdThe General Theological SeminaryNew York, New Yok By the Right Reverend R. William Franklin […]
- Episcopal Church-Bavarian Lutheran packet for Bishops and Deputies
- The Presbyterian-Episcopal Bilateral Dialogue Meets for Winter 2022 Session The bilateral dialogue between the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and the Episcopal Church met via Zoom February 21-22, 2022. The participants of the dialogue table were: From the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.): Ruling Elder Dr. Anne Bond (co-chair), […]
- Ecumenical and Interreligious Resolutions at the 80th General ConventionThe General Convention of The Episcopal Church will meet in Baltimore, Maryland, from July 7-14. Originally planned for the summer of 2021, the 80th General Convention was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Below are the […]
- Memorandum of Mutual Recognition of Relations of Full Communion