The ecumenical movement is The Episcopal Church’s response to Jesus’ prayer for his disciples in John 17:21 “that they may all be one.” The Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations offers prayers for unity and participates in formal dialogues to nurture a spirit of understanding and respect, while collaborating actively in mission and ministry opportunities. The Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations works closely with Episcopal Diocesan Ecumenical and Interreligious Officers (EDEIO) to equip diocesan officers to carry out their work. Each province of The Episcopal Church is represented by a provincial coordinator elected from within the organization.
Season of Creation 2023: Let Justice and Peace Flow
Sept. 1 – Oct. 4: Find promotional, liturgical, and advocacy resources
Full Communion Partners
Communion in the Church and communion between and among the churches is a dynamic reality, a reality in progress, a reality never perfectly achieved, a reality with which we struggle as we struggle in our personal communion with God and with one another.
Ecumenical Dialogue Partners
The Episcopal Church is engaged in formal bilateral talks with the following churches. These dialogues have been established by act of General Convention and are provided with oversight by the Office of Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations in conjunction with clergy and laity appointed by the EIR and the Office of General Convention.
Ecumenical and Interreligious One-pagers
Documents that provide concise, up-to-date information about the state of Ecumenical and Interreligious Relations in The Episcopal Church and with our full communion partners.
- The Moravian Church Northern Province Convenes SynodThe Rt. Rev. Sam Rodman and the Rev. Maria Tjeltveit (members of the Moravian-Episcopal Coordinating Committee, or MECC), represented The Episcopal Church at the Moravian Church’s Northern Province Synod in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in June. The synod … Read more
- From Hank Jeannel: Fall 2023Looking back on this summer with The Episcopal Church’s festival “It’s All About Love,” the World Council of Churches’ Central Committee meeting, and the active work of the Churches Beyond Borders, we are encouraged by the … Read more
- Ecumenical Recap: “It’s All About Love: A Festival for the Jesus Movement”The Episcopal Church’s festival, “It’s All About Love: A Festival for the Jesus Movement,” took place in Baltimore July 9-12. The Shoulder to Shoulder campaign held a mini version of its “Faith Over Fear” training, which … Read more
- WCC Central Committee meets, first of Pillay’s tenureThe Central Committee of the World Council of Churches (WCC) met June 21-27 in Geneva, Switzerland, marking the first central committee meeting under the newly installed General Secretary Jerry Pillay. The meeting also commemorated the WCC’s 75th … Read more
- The Rev. Karen Georgia Thompson Elected as General Minister and President of the UCCThe United Church of Christ (UCC) met for its 2023 General Synod in Indianapolis from June 30 to July 4. The Rev. Karen Georgia Thompson was elected as the denomination’s general minister and president, making her … Read more
- New Documentary “The Philadelphia Eleven” to Premiere in Philadelphia“The Philadelphia Eleven,” a new documentary directed by Margo Guernsey and Nikki Bramley about the first 11 women to be ordained as priests in The Episcopal Church is set to premiere Sept. 30. The premiere will … Read more