Glossary of Terms
(c. 347-Sept. 14, 407). Eastern patriarch. He was born at Antioch in Syria. Early in life John became a monk. At times he lived as a hermit. He was soon recognized as a great preacher. Shortly after his death he was given the name Chrysostom, which means “golden-mouthed.” In 397 he became the Patriarch of […]
The Holy Catholic Church in China. The Episcopal Church had been active in China since 1844, when William Jones Boone was consecrated the Missionary Bishop of China. He was the first foreign Missionary Bishop of the Episcopal Church. English and Canadian Anglicans were also active in China. On Apr. 26, 1912, the American, Canadian and […]
This weekly journal was published in Philadelphia from Nov. 29, 1884, until probably Nov. 20, 1886.
This periodical was published at Baltimore. It carried news for and about African American Episcopalians. It was published weekly from 1892 until 1898, and it was published monthly from 1899 until 1923. It ceased publication in 1923.
This periodical was published monthly in Lexington, Kentucky. It began publication early in 1835. It was the private venture of Dr. John E. Cooke, a prominent Kentucky lawyer. In Nov. 1835, the Rev. Henry Caswall became editor. Publication was suspended at the end of 1836.
See Protestant Churchman, The.
This quarterly periodical began publication in Jan., 1872, and ceased publication in 1874. It was an Anglo-Catholic publication.
A publication of the Publicity Department of the Presiding Bishop and Council. It began publication in Sept. 1920. It is no longer in existence.
See CDO Personal Profile.
One of the eleven Episcopal seminaries accredited by the Association of Theological Schools, this school was founded by Bishop William Ford Nichols of California. It opened on Oct. 18, 1893, at San Mateo, California. In Apr., 1930, the school moved to Berkeley, its present location. One of its most significant faculty members was liturgical scholar […]
This journal began publication on Mar. 15, 1873, and carried the subtitle “A Magazine of Church Opinion, Religious Literature, and Ecclesiastical Miscellany.” The first editor and proprietor was the Rev. William Thomas Gibson (1822-1896). In Apr. 1878 the subtitle was changed to “A Monthly Magazine of Church Literature and Church Work; With Notes and Summaries.” […]
This journal was published six times a year to create interest among American Episcopalians in the Japan Mission. It first appeared in Dec. 1894, and in 1896 it became a monthly publication. The last issue was Dec. 1900.
This weekly publication was the principal organ of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate States. It was published at Raleigh, North Carolina, from Mar. 14, 1860 until Apr. 8, 1864. On Sept. 14, 1864, publication was resumed at Charlotte under the direction of the Episcopal Publishing Association. It was published until May 4, 1865.
This periodical was published in New York City. It was a vigorous Anglo-Catholic publication. It began publication on Feb. 5, 1853. Its leading editor was John Henry Hopkins, Jr. (1820-1891). It merged with the Gospel Messenger. With the Nov. 4, 1872, issue it carried the new title, Church Journal and Gospel Messenger. It ceased publication […]
In Oct., 1836, a joint committee was formed to confer on securing a building for the work of the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society. In 1888 the Rev. William Langford, general secretary of the Missionary Society, argued that the church needed a headquarters so that its missionary activities could be centrally administered. A site was […]
This journal was published in Boston from Jan. 1861, until 1870. It was founded by Frederic Dan Huntington and George Maxwell Randall (1810-1873). In 1870 it became the Church Weekly, of New York. However, it survived for only another year. See Huntington, Frederic Dan.
Before the sixteenth-century Reformation in western Europe, the Christian church in a given country or region was customarily described as the church of the region, such as the Gallican Church, the Spanish Church, the English Church (Lat. ecclesia anglicana), or the Church of England. After the Reformation, the English national church continued to be called […]
Ritualistic parish. This parish was founded in 1868 by the Rev. Thomas McKee Brown to be a free church in the full tradition of catholic faith and worship. The original building, erected on West 45th Street on property given by John Jacob Astor, was dedicated on Dec. 8, 1870. The growth of the parish led […]
It was founded by lay people in 1844 and has long been one of the leading Anglo-catholic parishes in the American Church. Its strong adherence to the principles of the Oxford Movement and the ritualist movement often has put it at odds with other Episcopalians. Innovative practices concerning liturgy and parish governance led to conflict […]
This parish was founded in 1886, and its first service was held on Nov. 28, 1886. Its building is modeled on the Cathedral of Amiens in France. It was constructed between 1890 and 1897. The cornerstone was laid on May 30, 1892, and the church was consecrated on Oct. 11, 1897. Although the church was […]
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.