Glossary of Terms
On Oct. 13, 1853, the General Convention created the Missionary District of Oregon and Washington Territory. On Oct. 15, 1880, the General Convention divided it into the Missionary District of Oregon and the Missionary District of Washington. On Oct. 20, 1892, the General Convention divided the Missionary District of Washington into the Missionary District of […]
The 1877 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Illinois into the dioceses of Illinois, Quincy and Springfield. The primary convention of the Diocese of Springfield met at St. Paul's Church, Springfield, Dec. 18-19, 1877. It includes the following counties: Carr, Champaign, Christian, Clark, Coles, Cumberland, De Witt, Douglass, Edgar, Greene, Jersey, Logan, Macon, […]
Andrew's College, Jackson, Mississippi. St. Andrew's College opened on Jan. 1, 1852, with the Rev. Meyer Lewin (1816-1886) as president. It was under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Mississippi. It received its charter on Oct. 16, 1852, and was the first college with its own grounds and buildings to be established in Jackson. It […]
Founded by Bishop Frederic Dan Huntington of Central New York, it opened on Sept. 16, 1876, and closed in 1905. The school's principal scholar was the Rev. Dr. William Dexter Wilson, who was dean, 1880-1900.
The oldest Anglican institution of theological education in the Spanish-speaking world. It was founded in 1894, by the Rev. Henry Forrester. The seminary is accredited by ALIET (Asociacion Latinoamericana Internacional de Escuelas Teologicas, Latin American Association of Theological Schools). It participates in a consortium of seminaries called the Comunidad Teologica. It was a seminary of […]
Successor to several late nineteenth-/early twentieth-century schools. St. Andrew's Industrial and Training School for Boys opened on Sept. 21, 1905, near Gibson's Switch, Tennessee, near Sewanee. Later in 1905 the Order of the Holy Cross took over the school. In Apr. 1906 it officially adopted the school as a “work of the Order.” In 1888 […]
The idea of a church for the deaf came to the Rev. Thomas Gallaudet while he was ministering to a deaf teenager who was a student at the New York School for the Deaf, New York City. Gallaudet, with the support of the Bishop of New York, established St. Ann's Church for the Deaf. The […]
A bilingual institution of higher education created to make the American system of higher education accessible to a non-traditional student population with an emphasis on those of Hispanic descent. It was granted operating authority by the Illinois State Board of Higher Education on Oct. 7, 1980. It is a coeducational, two-year college with an emphasis […]
One of several schools founded by James Lloyd Breck. In Dec. 1867, he bought the twenty-acre tract and buildings which belonged to the recently closed Benicia Collegiate Institute and Law School at Benicia, California. Breck opened his Missionary College in 1868. Breck also established St. Mary's School for girls on the same campus. St. Mary's […]
A historically African American, coeducational institution, offering the bachelor's degree. The leader in its founding was Joseph Brinton Smith, executive director of the Freedman's Commission of the Episcopal Church. It was chartered on July 19, 1867, at St. Augustine's Normal School and Collegiate Institute and received its first four students on Jan. 13, 1868. From […]
On Sept. 13, 1855, a charter was granted to “The rector, Church Wardens, and Vestrymen of St. Clement's Church in the City of Philadelphia.” The cornerstone of the new church was laid on May 12, 1856, by Bishop Alonzo Potter. The church was consecrated on Apr. 12, 1864. The influence of the Catholic Revival, sometimes […]
See New York Training School for Deaconesses (NYTSD).
A national, not-for-profit behavioral health care organization serving children, adolescents, and their families. The Rt. Rev. Robert Herbert “Father Bob” Mize (1870-1956), founded St. Francis Academy (originally the St. Francis Boys' Home) in 1945. At that time he was the retired Bishop of Western Kansas. The first residential facility was located in Ellsworth, Kansas, and […]
St. James College was founded by the Rt. Rev. William Rollinson Whittingham, the fourth Bishop of Maryland, and the Rev. Theodore Benedict Lyman (1815-1893), rector of St. John's Church, Hagerstown. St. James was to be patterned after St. Paul's School, College Point, New York. Bishop Whittingham arranged for the Rev. John Barrett Kerfoot (1816-1881) to […]
The goals for the College of St. John the Evangelist were never fully realized. Jarvis Hall for boys, Wolfe Hall for girls, and Matthews Hall for theological students operated sporadically from 1879 to 1937. No degrees were ever awarded.
Historic seat of Henrico Parish, one of the oldest parishes in the United States. The plantation parish of Henrico began in 1611 with the Rev. Alexander Whitaker as its first rector. In 1617 plans were made for the “University and Colledge” of Henrico, and in 1619 ten thousand acres were granted for the college. In […]
In 1696 “King William's School” opened as a free school at Annapolis “to instruct youth in Arithmetick, Navigation and all useful learning, but chiefly for the fitting such as are disposed to study divinity.” Governor Nicholson gave the land for a school building which was completed in 1701. In Nov. 1784 the Maryland legislature passed […]
St. John's College opened in Jan. 1852 as St. John's School for Boys, under the leadership of the Rev. John DeWitt McCollough (1822-1902). It was never really a college, and it closed in 1862 because of the Civil War. In Oct. 1866 the Theological Seminary of South Carolina reopened St. John's campus but closed on […]
A preparatory school for boys in Delafield, Wisconsin, founded by James DeKoven in 1858. DeKoven was the warden of the school. It exemplified DeKoven's belief that students should live as a family in one building. The depression of 1859 caused it to merge with Racine College. DeKoven served as the warden of Racine College until […]
The Episcopal Church began an institution for boys in Shanghai around 1851. It was the foundation for St. John's. The school was founded by the Rt. Rev. Samuel Isaac Joseph Schereschewsky, Bishop of Shanghai, 1877-1883. The cornerstone of the building was laid on Easter Monday, Apr. 14, 1879, and a house for the bishop was […]
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.