Glossary of Terms
This church, also known as Old Brick Church, is near Smithfield in Isle of Wight County. It claims the distinction of being the oldest Episcopal Church in Virginia and the oldest building of English origin still standing in the United States. Historians think it was built in 1632 because three bricks were found imprinted with […]
See Sewanee Theological Review.
Anita Adela Hodgkin was received as a candidate for the office of deaconess by Bishop William F. Nichols of California on Apr. 3, 1907. May Bostick Mott was received as a prospective deaconess by Bishop Nichols on May 18, 1908. Both women were members of St. Mark's Church, Berkeley, where Edward Lambe Parsons was the […]
In 1850 a charter was obtained for the establishment of an institution for academic, collegiate, and theological learning to be known as St. Mark's College. The only president was the Rev. Charles C. Taylor (d. 1855). St. Mark's College was abandoned in 1851.
The Rt. Rev. Alexander Charles Garrett, the first Bishop of Dallas, founded this school for women. A cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1876, but classes did not begin until Sept. 10, 1889. By 1900 the school offered a four-year program leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree. With the exception of Bishop Garrett, the […]
This school opened on May 12, 1842. In 1954 the name was changed to St. Mary's Junior College. It is now called St. Mary's College. It is a two-year school with a liberal arts curriculum for women.
In 1836 Bishop George Washington Doane of New Jersey bought an existing school for girls in Burlington and renamed it St. Mary's Hall. The new school opened on May 1, 1837, with fifty-two students. In 1849 the assets of St. Mary's Hall were transferred to the Trustees of Burlington College, which Doane had founded in […]
Historic seat of St. Michael's parish. By an act of the South Carolina General Assembly on June 14, 1751, the parish of St. Philip's was divided and the parish of St. Michael established. Construction of the building took about a decade. The building is an important example of colonial architecture and is largely unchanged after […]
See Breastplate of St. Patrick.
The cornerstone of St. Paul's College was laid on Oct. 15, 1836, by the Rev. William Augustus Muhlenberg. The Christian religion was the center of education for Muhlenberg, and the school was to train missionaries and teachers. It closed in 1848.
St. Paul's Normal and Industrial School was founded on Sept. 24, 1888, by the Rev. James Solomon Russell (1857-1935). In 1906 it became a part of the American Church Institute for Negroes. On Dec. 30, 1941, the name was changed to St. Paul's Polytechnic Institute, and on Feb. 27, 1957, to St. Paul's College. St. […]
The Governor Clark Mission was established in Feb. 1848 on fifty-seven acres of land in Marion County which was purchased by the Rt. Rev. Cicero Stephens Hawks, the second Bishop of Missouri. On Feb. 24, 1853, the legislature incorporated the school as St. Paul's College. In June 1889 St. Paul's graduated its last class, and […]
The Rev. Charles Gillette (1813-Mar. 6, 1869) founded St. Paul's College. It opened on Jan. 5, 1852, at Anderson, as the Anderson Female Institute and Texas Diocesan School. It received a charter on Feb. 4, 1853, as St. Paul's College. On Apr. 5, 1855, the board of trustees voted to move the school to Austin, […]
A leading co-educational college preparatory school in the United States. It was founded on Apr. 3, 1856, by a Boston physician, George Cheyne Shattuck, Jr. Dr. Shattuck wanted to educate his sons in a place where natural beauty could play a part in the boys' education. St. Paul's was influenced by two other schools. The […]
Founded in 1874 by Bishop Channing Moore Williams, it officially became St. Paul's College in 1907. Native Japanese leadership assumed administration in 1920 and it acquired university status in 1922. It was reorganized and became co-educational in 1949. The graduate school was established in 1951.
Oldest religious congregation in South Carolina. It was formed around 1670, when a colony of settlers disembarked in Apr. at “Albemarle Point.” By 1679 the settlers had moved to the peninsula between the Ashley and Cooper Rivers to form Charles Town, named after Charles II, King of England at the time. The first permanent church […]
This African American congregation was founded in 1818. It was the second African American Episcopal congregation in the United States after St. Thomas African Episcopal Church, Philadelphia. The first members of St. Philip's had been members of Trinity Parish, New York. The leader of the parish was Peter Williams, Jr., a lay reader, “Absalom Jones's […]
St. Philip's College was founded in 1898 by the Rt. Rev. James Steptoe Johnston (1843-1924), the second Bishop of West Texas, as St. Philip's Normal and Industrial School, to prepare African American people for the responsibilities of citizenship. In Sept. 1902 Artemisia Bowden (1884-1969) took charge of the school, and in 1927 it became St. […]
See Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York.
St. Stephen's College (now Bard) was established on Mar. 20, 1860. Under its second warden, the Rev. Thomas Richey, a theology department with a three-year course was established. Three young men began the course, but soon decided “that they could accomplish their objectives more satisfactorily in some of the older seminaries.”
Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from “An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians,” Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.