This Parish was formed in 1683 when Farnham Parish was divided into North and South Farnham, nine years before Rappahannock County was divided into Richmond and Essex counties. This Farnham Church was erected in 1737. In the decades following the Revolution, the interior fell into ruins. In 1834, after a long period without a minister, the Rev'd George W. Nelson was called as rector. After his untimely death six years later, the vestry declared that "by his Pastoral hand this Congregation was collected and anew." The fire of 1887, however, left only the walls standing. The final restoration was not completed until 1921. The Right Rev'd F. D. Goodwin was elected bishop of Virginia while rector of Cople, Lunenburg and North Farnham parishes as was consecrated here in 1930.